Every material on this site is authentic and was extracted from the complete available project. Click to GET IT NOW
MS-WORD DOC | CHAPTERS: 1-5 | PAGES: 76 | PRICE: 3000 ONLY
THE EFFECTS OF POOR OFFICE ENVIRONMENT ON THE MOTIVATION OF WORKERS IN AN ORGANISATION (A CASE STUDY OF ENUGU NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF ENUGU STATE)
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The efficiency of office employees is directly or indirectly affected by the conditions under which they are required to do their work which affect the performances of workers and the achievement of organizational objectives for this purpose, this study will focus it’s attention on the effects of poor office environment on the motivation of workers in an organisaiton.
According to Oxford Advance Learner Dictionary, “Are office is a room, set of rooms or building where people work usually sitting at desk”.
Egbe T.E. and Rita Ejiofor (1987: P.255) defined Office as a place where clerical activities take place” to put it succinctly, the office is a service delivery unit of an organisaiton, such services may include clerical secretarial, accounting and research duties. These are vital services that complement or facilitate the work of the executives in an organisation. Office reflects the company’s wealth, it’s value and it’s attitudes, for visitors and workers it is the company’s handful image and it provides the stage on which the more static element of the company perform for their customers, staff and community. Above all, office is designed to stimulate environments that encourage creativity.
Therefore, one cannot define an office without the knowledge of it’s environment. Are office environment is a business community where socio-economic or business activities are performed with a view to achieve organizational goals. It should be known that every business system lies within are environment in enhancing work motivation and job satisfaction is necessary in every organization. Consequently management should look into work motivation and conducive environment as antidote for enhancing productively and influences the amount of work interest and happiness of workers.
The office environment are consists of office building, furniture and layout, lighting, air condition, ventilation, colour conditioning or decoration, sound condition physical conditioning in which workers operate under a safety measures and so on.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
It is the fact that human beings are one important resource available to the organisation and prove to pressure and influences such as noise, poor lighting and unsuitable work tools as this always creates discomfort in the work place and tend to urge the employees to seek more suitable conditions outside the workstation. These conditions, which are harmful to their health and moral, results in physical and mental fatigue in other words, it result to inefficiency. The general working environment of mostNigeriaoffice with particular references to Enugu North Local Government are subjected to utter neglects.
- The office environment looks very use stimulating to the eyes.
- The workers or employees have a negative attitude towards their jobs that is inadequate responsibility, high rate of absenteeism and discipline.
- Also, the flow of communication between workers and management is inadequate.
- Workers welfare is not taken care of or payment is nothing to write home about comparing it with economic condition of the country.
Looking at these problems, one will quickly notice that workers rate of production and organizational hazards that might cause injury or death of workers deriders on environment factors. It is the environment that will greatly motivate the workers to increase their productivity.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
1. To find the effect of office environment in the productivity of workers
2. To determine the effect of salary structure on the performance of workers
3. To find the effect of inadequate office furniture and fitting, modern machines in the performance of workers of Enugu North Local Government Area of Enugu State.
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
1. To identify the impact of depressing of office environment on the motivation of workers.
2. To find out the indifference attitude and it’s impact on the motivation of workers,
3. To know if the structure has an impact on workers performance and motivation.
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
A. Ho: The salary structure does not affect workers motivation and
H1: The salary structure affects workers motivation and productivity
B. Ho: Poor office environment does not affect workers level of output
H1: Poor office environment affect workers level of output
C. Ho: Indifferent attitude to workers welfare by the management have
negative impact on the motivation of workers.
H1: Indifferent attitude to workers welfare by the management have inversely related impact on the motivation of workers.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of this study is to:
1. Highlight the effect of a poor working environment on the motivation of workers with a view of identifying specific area of deficiency’s to be modified in order to meet the requirement of the modern day office.
2. To provide workers with facilities to enable them to work towards the achievement of organizational goal.
3. The study will also help to improve workers morale and their condition of services.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Due to the relatively short-time allowed for this research work based on the distance from Enugu to Enugu North and the tight academic programme, in the course of the study, the researcher rail into shortage of money and this prevented me not have all I really required and the organizational policy in Enugu local government prevented my knowledge of certain facts from the organization. There was shortage of questionnaires collected as not all the respondents’ return theirs.
DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This research work was delimited only to the effects of poor office environment on the motivation of workers in an organization in Enugu North Local Government Area of Enugu State. In this all the staff of the organization is used ad the population of the study.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
1. Motivation: This means an incentive, which encourages workers to be
more devoted to their job.
2. Moral: This means the moral conditions of workers regarding discipline and confidence.
3. Job Satisfaction: This refers to the pleasurable emotional by the state which as a result of the appraisal of one’s job.
4. Welfare Benefits: Satisfactory state of motivation and maintaining workers by guiding them, allowance that will keep them in good health condition.
5. Incentives: These are wages & salaries.
6. Performance: This refers to the execution of carrying out notable work.
7. Impact: These are wages and salaries objects where studying against another.
Derryer, J.C. and Arona, (1980), Office ManagementLondon, Macdonald and Evans Ltd.
Geoffrey, N.I. (1979), Nigerian Management, A Functional Approach 2nd
Ed. Ibadan: African Newspaper P. 127.
Geoffrey, W. (1974) Office Practice,London Mack Simple William Heiman Production.
Roeth Lisherger, I. Et al (1939), Management and the WorkerCambridge:HarvardUniversityPress.