Every material on this site is authentic and was extracted from the complete available project.Click to GET IT NOW
MS-WORD DOC || CHAPTERS: 1-5 || PAGES: 34 || PRICE: ₦3000
THE ROLES OF TRADITIONAL INSTITUTIONS IN COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT (A CASE STUDY OF IDAH LOCAL GOVERNMENT, KOGI STATE)
This research work is an attempt to examine the roles played by traditional institution in community development in Idah Local Government Area Kogi State. This study explores the community development projects carried out in Idah Local Government and assesses the extent of traditional institutions involvement in community development projects. In the course of the research, a hundred and twenty questionnaires were administered based on stratified sampling techniques where the districts, where grouped into smaller units covering the study area played critical roles in community development projects. The research came up with some recommendations through which the role of traditional institutions in Idah Local Government would be enhanced in community development project in the Local Government Area.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
There have been changes in the role of traditional Institution in Nigeria as it Applies to community development since the introduction of Local Government reforms of 1976. In the said reforms, leadership role were clearly expressed, which staff that it is not the intention of Government to destroy the organic unity of the traditional institutions.
The traditional emirates and chiefdom would remain, although functions will be dictated by circumstances. Although the paramount chiefs were undone by colonial rules, traditional institution have served as important adjust in the Administration of post-colonial government in both Nigeria and African (Miles 2007).
Local Government are creation of staff Government as such the Kogi State Government under delegated power enacted the 1976 Local Government edict number, 14 of 1978. This in effect streamlined the procedure for the selection recognition and role of tradition institutions. This therefore formed the constitutional framework for traditional democracy by community selection of an acceptable institutions.
There were the existence of warrant chiefs during the indirect rule system in the such existence part of the country and the then colonial government recognized in the middle belt of Nigeria during colonial era. All these sets of traditional institution contributed in no small measure, to the upliftment of community development [Ojo, 1976]. The Igala traditional society is purely a republic one, ruled by ideas of political sovereignty, egalitarianism and human co-operation. The Idah political authority includes the traditional institution (Ter) district head Local Government officer responsible for chieftaincy matter and the council of elders.
The role of traditional institution in Idah was undergoing change as the democratic dispensation within the country develops it has been therefore become necessary that they redine their roles as head of their polities within the framework of development effect by central governmental organizations [NGOS], [Wilhelmina J. Donkoh 2002; - 105 – 114].
Traditional institution in Idah play crucial roles in the design and implementation of development project within their respective jurisdictions. Their core roles include mobilization of their for development purpose this include the provision of infrastructure for enhanced standard of living within the community some times, traditional institution initial development projects and secure the support of both internal and external development agents for the execution of these projects (Donkoh, 2002; 105-144). Traditional institution work in conjunction with their subjects and therefore carry the whole community along to accomplish development project that will be immense benefits to the entire community. Thus, this study is aimed at examining the roles of traditional institution in community development in Igala Local Government Area of Kogi State.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
The traditional institution in Idah Local Government area of Kogi State despite being aware of their roles expectation in their respect are of jurisdiction, most often than not deviate from these roles and expectation the opposite questions that underlies this study include the following; what is the role of traditional institution community development? How can the role of traditional institution in community development be improved in Idah Local Government area of Kogi State? What are the constraints facing the traditional institution in their efforts toward community development programs?
1.3 RESEARCH QUESTION
The study attempt to provide answer to the following questions formulated;
- Do traditional institutions have the capacity to embark on community development programme(s) in Idah Local Government?
- Have the traditional institution execute any community development programme(s) in Idah Local Government?
- What kind of program(s) have they been able to execute?
- What are the factors hindering traditional institution from carrying out community development programme(s) in Idah?
1.4 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The aim and objectives of this study include
(a). To ascertain the extent of the involvement of traditional institution in community development projects.
(b). To find out the constant face by traditional in community development project in Idah Local Government.
(c) To suggest ways to improve and encourage traditional institution in development projects.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
The study of the role of traditional institution in community development programmes is sociologically important because contemporary society is geared toward development, either socially, economically politically.
The study is also significant because it will help to find solution to the problems hindering traditional institution from carrying out community development programmes not only in Idah Local Government but also beyond more so, it will help the Government to assist traditional institution in community(s)
Theoretically, this research work may help members of the public to have vast knowledge about the cardinal role of traditional institution in community development programme(s); as well as the problems they encounter. This may help them to be constructive in their criticism, and may also help subsequent researchers, to built on it and improve on their work.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This work is limited to determining the role of tradition institution in community development programme(s) if specifically conveins have they initiate embark and execute project in Idah Local from 2000-2009.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
In any research work problem are inevitable, in the course of carryout this research a number of problem were encountered by the researcher the respondent were not only ready to co-operate by filling the questionnaire.
Limitation is common features of any scientific research especially in social science were researcher are directly involves in the phenomenon under study in this research study financial researches available was hardly enough to adequately cater for expenses encountered especially in the area of printing out questionnaires and transportation expenses incurred in the collection of the questionnaire respondents.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
This study would define the following terms.
- 1. Role: - This refers to the part of the persons on thing play in a specific situation or operation in this study; it is related to the expected functions that an institution of a community plays or should play for the benefit of his subjects and community.
- 2. Tradition: - It refers to a cultural continuity transmitted in the form of social attitude, beliefs principles and convention of behaviors derived from past experiences and helping to shape the present. In this study it portrays the legal that the installed institution will leave behind, the blue print that stand the test of time.
- 3. Traditional Institution: - A control authority, reign of a monarch and the accepted controller by the people over them in their affairs of life, in this study, it means a collectively elected persons(s) selected by the community to pilot the affairs of his people in live with custom and traditions of the community.
- 4. Community: - A place in which an interacting group of people living in the same territory, town, village, suburb, or neighborhood. In this study, it means a traitor convene commonly shared by people, children, and youths in terms of relations characterized by personal intimacy emotional ties and social cohesion.
- 5. Development: - is regarded as a continuous process of positive changes in the quality and span life of a person or group of person. Thus development used in this context is more meaningful when it has to do with progressive improvement in the quality and living standards of the people pertaining to their aspiration and resources at their disposal.